Write to your MP reminding them that Drama is an essential subject for the emotional, physical, intellectual and social development of all children.
Template for letter regarding EBacc.
STSD members should introduce other points that occur to them – the more individual the letter, the better.
Dear [insert name of MP]
I am writing to voice my concerns about the failure to include any Arts subjects in the new EBacc, and to ask you to take whatever steps are necessary to ensure that my concerns are both heard and acted upon.
By excluding the Arts :
- students are deprived of
- the opportunity for creative thinking of a type that develops different parts of the brain from those applied in other academic subjects
- teaching of communication skills
- teaching of presentation skills
all of which develop skills essential in everyday life and future careers
- gifted students in the Arts area are potentially denied the opportunity of having their artistic potential recognised. This negatively impacts on any sense of achievement and value, further reducing their chances of success. Society would be the poorer for the loss of future artists, musicians and performers. In turn, our national cultural identity would be compromised and our economy would suffer
- students less gifted in traditional academic subjects, who might otherwise have pursued careers in the Arts, will be much less likely to discover those career opportunities.
- students from less affluent backgrounds could be disadvantaged if the Arts were excluded from the curriculum.
An urgent review of the EBacc proposals is needed to ensure that Arts subjects are given sufficient (ie considerably more than is proposed) prominence in the curriculum. I urge you to do all that you can to put such a review in place.